Sunday, November 11, 2012

Being a New Teacher...


Being a new teacher in the district definitely comes with its downfalls.  Until you have three full years of teaching under your belt in our district, you are pretty much a free agent within the district.  So, what does that mean for me?  Well, it means that at the end of every school year, I have no idea what school I am going to be at or what grade I will teach until the end of August.  Unfortunately, at the end of my first (half) year, I did not get a call back until the beginning of October.  It was then I began my first year teaching Kindergarten.  It was at a smaller school in the district; they needed to open up a third K classroom to accommodate such large registration numbers.  Because I didn't start teaching on the first day of school, this year does not count toward my professional status, just toward seniority/retirement.  Does that make sense?

  At the end of that first year, I was called back on the first day of school (beginning of Sept.) to a different school in the district; a much larger school.  The too, needed to open another K classroom due to large enrollment numbers. If being at a new school wasn't overwhelming enough as a new teacher, I was told that I would be the inclusion teacher and that I would have 3 students on the Autism Spectrum.  It was about that time that I freaked out inside!  I had no experience with this!  But, let me tell you, it was the best experience ever!  I truly learned a lot and I loved seeing the progress my ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) students made!

  Fast forward to the end of that year, I received my call back at the end of August!  Just in time to make a full year!  It was at the same school, in the same room and I was one of two inclusion K rooms!  So, if you've been able to keep track, I've officially been with the school department for close to 3 years.  Unfortunately, after completing the current school year, only 2 of those three years will count toward my professional status.

  What is professional status in my district you may ask?  Well, the only appealing thing about obtaining professional status is gaining the ability to bid on open positions at the end of the school year.  So, until then, I am at the will of the school department.  Who knows, next year I could be teaching 5th grade at another school.....
 post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment