Saturday, January 26, 2013

Differentiated Instruction

On Thursday I had the opportunity to attend a workshop about Differentiated Instruction.  I figured it couldn't hurt as I have an inclusive classroom and could use some more helpful hints on differentiating things for my students.  We had a wonderful presenter.  Her name was Terri Ward and she is a college professor at The College of St. Rose.  It is a coeducational college which means they offer inclusive courses!  She told us that in her current courses she has a wide range of student abilities.  She has students with physical disabilities such as CP and she has students with intellectual disabilities who read on a Kindergarten level.  It is very apparent that she has to differentiate her instruction in a variety of ways.  Instead of just telling us about these activities, she had us preform them, which is great for me, I learn best hands on!  There are a couple of activities that I plan to use in my room from now on. 

My favorite new thing I learned about was Layered Curriculum.  This is a wonderful idea that gets every student, no matter their ability, engaged and learning about the topic.  There are basically 3 different levels in the curriculum; the A layer, the B layer and the C layer.  Much like Bloom's Taxonomy, each level becomes more advanced.  So, at the A level you would have very concrete knowlegde based activities.  At the B level you would create activities at a higher level.  Lastly, on the C level you would have the most abstract, involved activities.  To give you more information and a sense of what this would look like on the Kindergarten level take a look at this example:  Shapes.  Dr. Kathie Nunley hosts a wonderful website, help4teachers, that hosts a variety of these ideas K-12.  I hope you are able to find some great ideas there!

How do you differentiate your instruction if you have to?  I'd love to hear some more great ideas!
  post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment